The first Ordnance Survey Map, surveyed in 1847, shows a detailed layout of the cemetery and St James' Mount and Walk. The oratory, chaplain's house, Huskisson's monument, well, and clerk's house are all illustrated along with the winding pathways. The mount also shows the the Sexton's House, Gardener's Cottage, and six terraced buildings, as well as an observatory. A portion of land between the mount and cemetery is also labelled as "Burial Ground" and is likely to mark the location of the Higher Western Terrace. The mount is accessed by steps at both ends (north and south), as well as in the middle from St James' Road to the west (bottom).
Surveyed in 1847 by Captain Hawkins, R. E. and engraved in 1849, under the direction of Captain Yolland, R. E. at the Ordnance Map Office Southampton.
The outline by J. H. Jones, the writing by J. Marshall, and published by Lt. Colonel Hall R. E. Superintendent. 29th September 1849.
Reprinted by Courtesy of The Trustees of the National Library of Scotland. Liverpool Sheet 35.